Supermodel turned media mogul Tyra Banks is heading to Oklahoma State University.
The 45-year-old businesswoman and television personality will be speaking at Gallagher-Iba Arena at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 11.
“We selected Tyra Banks as this year’s diversity speaker because we believe she will bring new ideas and an inspiring impact to our campus,” said Summer Stevens, a senior apparel merchandising major from Perry, Oklahoma, and director of the OSU Speakers Board, which brings three high-profile speakers to campus each academic year.
“Ms. Banks has seen great success through many industries, but that did not come without hard work and determination. We felt she could relate to every student on our campus and share inspiring insights with them. We are very excited to bring Ms. Banks to OSU.”
The event is free for students, faculty and staff with a valid OSU ID. Tickets can be purchased for $10 beginning at 4 p.m. April 11 at the ticket windows on the south side of Gallagher-Iba Arena. Doors open at 6 p.m.
Banks is expected to give a short keynote speech followed by a moderated question-and-answer session focused on diversity, work ethic and advice for college students. Students will be able to question Banks themselves.
Banks, a former supermodel and Victoria’s Secret angel, was rejected by six modeling agencies before being signed at 15 years old, according to her official biography.
Other highlights include:
• First female cover model on GQ
• First African-American model on the cover of Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue (1997)
• Named one of The Hollywood Reporter’s 100 Most Powerful Women in Entertainment
• Twice listed as one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World
• Earned two Daytime Emmy Awards for The Tyra Banks Show, which aired for five seasons
• Created and executive produces America’s Next Top Model, a fashion competition-based reality television series now in its 24th season
• Hosted America’s Got Talent for two seasons
• CEO of her own multimillion-dollar entertainment company
“Her passion is the TZONE Foundation, a non-profit organization that invests in young women to help them realize their ambitions and approach life’s challenges with fierce determination,” according to her bio.