Women for OSU recognized Peggy Helmerich as the 2019 Philanthropist of the Year and honored 10 student scholars at its 11th annual symposium. The event drew more than 500 people and focused on the theme of “presence,” featuring New York Times best-selling author Amy Cuddy as the keynote speaker.
Helmerich has devoted decades of her life to improving health care, education, arts, libraries and other charitable endeavors within Tulsa and at Oklahoma State University and other colleges throughout the state.
“I credit my strong foundation in family, faith and love of OSU for my passion to influence my community,” she said. Helmerich is a civic leader in Tulsa and volunteers with such community organizations as the Tulsa Ballet, Tulsa Symphony, Tulsa Garden Center and Friends of the OSU Library.
With the addition of this year’s class of scholars, Women for OSU has awarded 71 scholarships since its founding 11 years ago. This year’s recipients, their majors and hometowns are:
- Carly Bender, actuarial, financial mathematics and statistics junior, Tulsa
- Alison Booth, hospitality and tourism management junior, Mustang, Oklahoma
- Seraiah Coe, biological science/natural resource ecology and management sophomore, McKinney, Texas
- Peighton Coleman, elementary education junior, Tuttle, Oklahoma
- Lana Duke, first-year osteopathic medicine student, Edmond, Oklahoma
- Courtney Keeney, plant and soil sciences junior, Eagletown, Oklahoma
- Rachel Terry, biology-pre-medical junior, Edmond, Oklahoma
- Alexis Vance, chemical engineering junior, Leawood, Kansas
- Christine Walters, nutritional sciences doctoral student, Concord, Ohio
- Caitlin Way, third-year osteopathic medicine student, Mitchell, South Dakota
Cuddy, a renowned social psychologist and best-selling author, is an expert on the behavioral science of power, presence and prejudice. She centered her keynote speech on using body language to feel empowered, maintaining presence and overcoming the anxiety associated with stressful situations.
The symposium’s success is thanks to the generosity and philanthropy of the women who make lasting impacts at OSU and within their communities. The Women for OSU 2020 Symposium will be held April 23 with OSU alumna Dr. Tererai Trent as the keynote speaker.
Follow the OSU Foundation on social media or visit OSUgiving.com/women for more information on the 2020 symposium.
MEDIA CONTACT: Jennifer Kinnard | (405) 385-5185 | email@example.com