2022 Fall Convocation Award Winners Announced
Monday, December 12, 2022
Media Contact: Jordan Bishop | Editor, Department of Brand Management | 405-744-7193 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Oklahoma State University President Kayse Shrum recognized faculty, staff and administrators for their achievements in 2022 at the University Awards Convocation on Thursday in the Student Union Ballroom.
Dr. Shrum, alongside Dr. Jeanette Mendez, OSU’s provost, awarded recipients in 23 different categories, each nominated by supervisors and colleagues.
“While this ceremony is something we do every year, I never fail to be amazed by the innovation, achievement and dedication of the OSU family,” Mendez said.
Dr. Natascha Riedinger, associate professor of geology in the College of Arts and Sciences, received awards in three separate categories: the Phoenix Award For Graduate Faculty; the Women’s Faculty Outstanding Achievement and Mentorship of Women Award; and the Advising Excellence Award.
Mendez said Riedinger has been devoted to the success of her students and has worked closely with underrepresented women to ensure they have the support and care they need to achieve their career goals.
The Distinguished Early Career Faculty Awards were presented to Dr. Ravi Jadeja from the Department of Animal and Food Sciences; Andy Mattern from the Department of Art and Art History; Dr. Josh Jansa from the Department of Political Science; Dr. Greg Eaton from the Department of Finance; Dr. Ki Cole from the School of Educational Foundations, Leadership and Aviation; Dr. Omer San from the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering; and Holly Reiter from the Department of the Library.
Recipients of this award were chosen based on their award of tenure within the past three years, their demonstration of strong potential for their contributions to the university, their professions, research, creative activity and Extension and/or outreach.
The Land Grant Award for Excellence was given to Dr. Andy Arena, professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering.
Arena was recognized for his contributions to the fields of unmanned aircraft design and fabrication, aerospace vehicle stability, aircraft performance and aerodynamics.
The Leave the Ladder Down Awards were given to Dr. Eve Ringsmuth from the Department of Political Science; Susan Tolbart from the Department of Prospective Student Services and Scholarships at OSU-Tulsa; Dr. Ryan Chung from the Department of University Assessment and Testing; and Dr. Cynda Clary from the Ferguson College of Agriculture.
Recipients were commemorated for their mentorship and encouragement of others in their respective fields to reach their fullest potential.
The University Service Awards were given to Trevor Courouleau from the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders; Candace Thrasher from the Department of Academic Affairs; and Dr. Ken Eastman, dean of the Spears School of Business.
Peers and colleagues selected the awardees based on the criteria of their extensive contributions to their respective departments.
Dr. Brett Carver from the Department of Plant and Soil Sciences was awarded the Eminent Faculty Award for his contributions to instruction and service, namely for his work in wheat variety development with the OSU Wheat Improvement Team.
The Loyal and True award was given to Missy Wikle from the departments of Academic Affairs and Enrollment Management.
Wikle has been at OSU for nearly 30 years. She began as an English composition instructor and eventually moved on to higher roles within the College of Arts and Sciences; University College Advising; New Student Orientation; and the Office of First Year Success. Throughout her various roles, she has worked to ensure the success of the students and staff around her.
List of honorees
Newly Appointed Regents Professors
This honorary title is awarded to faculty judged by peers to have made outstanding contributions to their discipline through accomplishments in instruction, research, scholarship, Extension and/or outreach.
- Dr. Yanqi Wu — Plant and Soil Sciences — Ferguson College of Agriculture
- Dr. Mark Fishbein — Plant Biology, Ecology and Evolution — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. G. Michael Grammer — Geology — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. G. Reed Holyoak — Clinical Sciences — College of Veterinary Medicine
Phoenix Award for Graduate Faculty
The Phoenix award is the highest recognition bestowed by the Graduate Professional Student Government Association. Nominated by current graduate students, faculty nominees are recognized for their excellence in graduate student mentoring. The winner receives a $500 award.
- Dr. Natascha Riedinger — Geology — College of Arts and Sciences
President’s Fellows Research Award
This award supports faculty by equipping them to conduct groundbreaking research. Awardees must be tenured faculty within five years of their date of tenure. Awards, up to $20,000 each, are given as one-time grants to be expended over a period of no more than one year.
- Dr. Shannon Spaulding — Philosophy — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Brian Elbing — Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering — College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology
- Dr. Akhilesh Ramachandran — Pathobiology — College of Veterinary Medicine
Regents Distinguished Research Award
This award recognizes faculty who have shown unusually significant achievement in their field of research. Awardees receive a $2,000 permanent stipend.
- Dr. Ning Wang — Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering — Ferguson College of Agriculture
- Dr. Mostafa Elshahed — Microbiology and Molecular Genetics — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Thomas Lanners — Music — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Betty Simkins — Finance — Spears School of Business
- Dr. Tilanka Chandrasekera — Design and Merchandising — College of Education and Human Sciences
- Dr. Guoliang Fan — Electrical and Computer Engineering — College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology
- Dr. Akhilesh Ramachandran — Pathobiology — College of Veterinary Medicine
Regents Distinguished Teaching Award
This award recognizes faculty who have shown unusually significant achievement in the instruction of students for an extended number of years. Awardees receive a $2,000 permanent stipend.
- Dr. Danielle Bellmer — Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering — Ferguson College of Agriculture
- Dr. Christopher Fennell — Chemistry — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Joseph Haley — Physics — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Andy Luse — Management Science and Information Systems — Spears School of Business
- Dr. Sam Emerson — Nutritional Sciences — College of Education and Human Sciences
- Dr. Baski Balasundaram — Industrial Engineering and Management — College of Engineering — Architecture and Technology
Career Champion Award
This award recognizes a faculty or staff member who has championed career development and readiness by encouraging, fostering and promoting opportunities for students.
- Dr. Karen Hickman — Department of Environmental Science — Ferguson College of Agriculture
Dr. Howard J. Ship Jr. Inclusive Excellence Staff Award
This award is presented annually to a staff member who exemplifies extraordinary service and outstanding achievements in advancing the culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion at OSU. The recipient receives a one-time stipend of $1,500.
- Jawauna Harding — Athletics
- Honorable Mention: Sheary Johnson — Food and Agricultural Products Center — Ferguson College of Agriculture
Women’s Faculty Council Outstanding Achievement and Mentorship of Women Awards
These awards, each with a $500 stipend, are given to faculty who have made significant contributions to research, scholarship and/or creative works and have a demonstrated record of encouragement, mentorship and advancement of women toward professional success.
- Rising Star: Dr. Elizabeth McCullagh — Integrative Biology — College of Arts and Sciences
- Outstanding Achievement: Dr. Natascha Riedinger — Geology — College of Arts and Sciences
- Inspiring Excellence: Dr. Lucy Bailey — Educational Foundations — Leadership and Aviation — College of Education and Human Sciences
Global Education Faculty Excellence Award
Honorees are faculty who have distinguished themselves by integrating a global perspective into instruction, research and outreach. The award consists of a $1,000 stipend.
- Dr. Michael Amory — English — College of Arts and Sciences
Online Teaching Excellence Award
This award recognizes a faculty member with a strong commitment to engaged, online teaching and student success. Criteria focus on evidence of a nominee’s use of effective and innovative online teaching practices resulting in student engagement, student satisfaction, use of effective methods of assessment of student learning, and demonstration of a commitment to fostering the academic success of online students. The award includes a $2,000 stipend.
- Dr. F. Bailey Norwood — Agricultural Economics — Ferguson College of Agriculture
Outreach Faculty Excellence Award
This award recognizes an individual for their commitment to OSU’s outreach mission as a land grant institution, evidenced by the nominee’s impact on programs, innovation and creativity in content and design, and overall implementation of outreach programs. The award includes a $2,000 stipend.
- Dr. Stacy Tomas — Hospitality and Tourism Management — Spears School of Business
Newly Appointed Chair and Professorship Holders
Medallions are presented to outstanding faculty who have been recently appointed to endowed chair and professorship positions. These faculty are dedicated to advancing their fields of study and have a strong desire to share their knowledge with the next generation.
Ferguson College of Agriculture
- Dr. Wyatt Hoback — Neustadt-Sarkeys Distinguished Professorship
- Dr. Tyson Ochsner — Warth Distinguished Professorship in Agronomy
College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Amanda Morris — George Kaiser Family Foundation Chair in Developmental Neurosciences
- Dr. Tony Thornton — Doug and Nickie Burns Endowed Professorship in Choral Music
- Chris Whittey — Vennerberg Endowed Chair in Art
Spears School of Business
- Dr. Per Bylund — Johnny D. Pope Chair in Entrepreneurship
- Dr. Lindsey Greco — William S. Spears Chair in Business Administration III
- Dr. Craig Sisneros — Patrick B. Dorr Professorship
- Dr. Kevin Kam Fung So — William S. Spears Chair in Business
- Dr. Brij Thapa — Charles W. Lanphere Professorship in Hotel and Restaurant Administration
College of Education and Human Sciences
- Dr. Greg Clare — Carol Dewitt Morsani Endowed Professorship in Design
- Dr. Daniel Lin — John and Sue Taylor Human Environmental Sciences Professorship
- Dr. Jentre Olsen — Brock Chair in Innovative Educational Leadership
College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology
- Dr. Heather Fahlenkamp — Bartlett Chair in Chemical Engineering
- Dr. James Smay — C. F. Colcord Chair
School of Global Studies and Partnerships
- Dr. Jami Fullerton — Lawrence L. Boger Professorship in International Studies
- Dr. Amy Malek — Iranian and Persian Gulf Studies Chair
College of Veterinary Medicine
- Joao Brandao — Debbie and Wayne Bell Endowed Professorship in Veterinary Clinical Sciences
- Dr. Lyndi Gilliam — June Jacobs Chair in Veterinary Medicine
Award for Academic Excellence in Academic Program Assessment
This award, with a $500 stipend, recognizes academic program assessment individuals or teams who demonstrate innovation, excellence and dedication to program outcomes assessment planning, reporting and implementation.
- Dr. Robert Scott Frazier — Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering — Ferguson College of Agriculture
- Dr. Julia Haley — Music — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Carol Johnson, Dr. Teresa Lightner and Julie Weathers — Business Administration — Spears School of Business
- Amy Birchfield, Dr. Alana Cluck and Dr. Tyler Kane —Nursing —College of Education and Human Sciences
- Dr. Jim West and Dr. Keith Teague — Electrical and Computer Engineering — College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology
Excellence in Teaching Award for Adjunct Faculty
This award, with a $1,000 stipend, recognizes excellence in teaching and is presented to a temporary, non-tenure track faculty member with three or more years of service and whose primary assignment is instruction.
- Daniel Trippett — Philosophy — College of Arts and Sciences
Merrick Foundation Teaching Award
This award, with a $2,500 stipend, is presented to a faculty member who is judged to bring students a better understanding and appreciation of the American economic system.
- Dr. Eric DeVuyst — Agricultural Economics — Ferguson College of Agriculture
Advising Excellence Award
This award provides institutional recognition for outstanding academic advising by faculty and staff.
- Dr. John Michael Riley — Agricultural Economics — Ferguson College of Agriculture
- Sheri Orr — Chemistry, Geology, Physics and Plant Biology, Ecology and Evolution — College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Sarah Kucker, Psychology — College of Arts and Sciences
- Lucy Berger, Student Success Center — Spears School of Business
- Michelle Crew, Student Success Center — College of Education and Human Sciences
- David Bennett — Student Success Center — College of Engineering — Architecture and Technology
- Melissa Cooper — University College Advising/LASSO Center — Division of Academic Affairs
- Dr. Timothy Snider, Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Dr. Natascha Riedinger — Geology — College of Arts and Sciences — Graduate College’s Outstanding Graduate Coordinator
Story By: Sam Milek | email@example.com