OSU welcomes Azerbaijani delegation to the Hamm Institute for American Energy
Thursday, December 8, 2022
Media Contact: Kelli Norton | Communication Specialist | 405-744-5496 | email@example.com
The Oklahoma State University School of Global Studies and Partnerships, in conjunction with the Oklahoma Department of Commerce and the Hamm Institute of American Energy, recently hosted a delegation from the Republic of Azerbaijan at the Hamm Institute of American Energy.
The delegation, composed of high-ranking military and diplomatic leaders from Azerbaijan, visited Oklahoma to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Oklahoma/Azerbaijan National Guard Partnership on Nov. 30, in Oklahoma City.
The delegation — led by Col. Gen. Karim Valiyev of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces and Khazar Ibrahim, ambassador to the United States from the Republic of Azerbaijan — visited Oklahoma City to discuss current and future relations between the two entities. It was Ibrahim’s second visit to OSU.
Because of the similarities in the energy and defense industries, the Hamm Institute for American Energy was the prime location to showcase the cutting-edge innovations being conducted in Oklahoma.
The partnership between Azerbaijan and Oklahoma began in 2002 with the Department of Defense National Guard Bureau State Partnership Program. The program pairs state National Guards with international partners to advance engagement with them. As such, the Oklahoma National Guard has been working closely with the Azerbaijani government to host military exchange workshops and programs.
In July 2021, a delegation of Oklahomans — including Gov. Kevin Stitt; Secretary of Agriculture and OSU/A&M Regent Blayne Arthur; Secretary of Commerce Scott Mueller; Dean Randy Kluver; and other Oklahoma leaders — visited Azerbaijan to discuss ways to strengthen the partnership and develop economic opportunities in Azerbaijan.
During the visit, OSU signed a memorandum of agreement that created a dual agricultural degree program between OSU and Azerbaijan State Agricultural University. The first program cohort of Azerbaijani students will arrive in Stillwater for the fall 2022 semester.
Delegation from Azerbaijan included:
- Col. Gen. Karim Valiyev, First Deputy Minister of Defense of the Republic of Azerbaijan — Chief of the General Staff of the Azerbaijan Army
- Maj. Gen. Huseyn Mahmudov — Head of International Military Cooperation Department, Ministry of Defense
- Col. Vagif Dergahli — Head of Secretariat to the Chief of the General Staff of the Azerbaijan Army
- Col. Ilgar Aghayev — Assistant of the Chief of the General Staff of the Azerbaijan Army
- Lt. Col. Elmaddin Aliyev — Interpreter
Office of the Defense Attaché of the Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan to U.S.
- Col. Rustam Gozalov — Defense Attaché of the Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan to U.S.
- Lt. Col. Gahraman Mammadov — Assistant Defense Attaché
- Lt. Cmdr. Kamran Tahirbayli — Assistant Defense Attaché
- Khazar Ibrahim — Ambassador
- Erkin Heydarli — Counselor of the Embassy
- Toghrul Aliyev — First Secretary of the Embassy
- Arslan Novrasli — "Tar" (National Azerbaijani musical instrument) artist
- Nargiz Aliyeva — Fortepiano artist
- Elnur Mikayilov — "Kamancha" (National Azerbaijani musical instrument) artist
- Aybaniz Novrasli — Emcee for musicians