The Spears School of Business was well represented at the annual University Awards Convocation ceremony Dec. 11 where several faculty and staff were recognized for their contributions to the school’s success.
“Spears Business is very fortunate to have so many outstanding staff and faculty,” said Ken Eastman, dean of the business school. “We are very proud of the Spears personnel who were recognized at this year’s convocation ceremony as it is a fitting recognition of their excellent work. They are great role models for all of us.”
Spears Business faculty honored were:
- David Carter, Greg Massey Professor in the Department of Finance and Oklahoma Bankers Association Chair of Commercial Bank Management, was presented with the Outreach Faculty Excellence Award.
- Nancy Titus-Piersma, a lecturer in the Department of Finance, was presented with the Excellence in Teaching Award for Adjunct Faculty given to a non-tenure track faculty member with three or more years of service.
- Ramesh Rao, professor in the Department of Finance and Paul C. Wise Chair of Finance, was recognized as a recipient of the Regents Distinguished Research Award, which recognizes faculty who have shown unusual, significant achievement in their field of research.
- Rathin Sarathy, professor in the Department of Management Science & Information Systems and Ardmore Chair, was awarded the Regents Distinguished Teaching Award for having shown significant achievement in the instruction of students.
- Wenyi Shen, assistant professor in the Department of Economics, received the Merrick Foundation Teaching Award for bringing a better understanding and appreciation of the American Economic System.
- Betty Simkins, professor and head of the Department of Finance, Williams Companies Chair, was named a Regents Professor.
- Angela Spencer, professor in the Department of Accounting and Lanny G. Chasteen Chair, was presented with the Award for Excellence in Academic Program Assessment, which recognizes those who demonstrate innovation, excellence and dedication to program outcomes assessment planning, reporting and implementation.
- Alexis Smith Washington, associate professor in the Department of Management, was honored with the Distinguished Early Career Faculty Award for recognition of faculty members who were awarded tenure within the past three years and demonstrate a strong potential for continued contributions to the university and to their profession in the area of instruction, research and creative activity and outreach.
Spears Business staff honored were:
- Cara Black, academic advisor, was given the Advising Excellence Award.
- Marissa McIntyre, director of student academic services, was awarded the Leave the Ladder Down Award given to one faculty member, one staff member and an administrator who have successfully mentored and encouraged others to reach their full potential.
In addition, the following Spears Business faculty were recognized for appointments to endowed chair and professorship positions:
- Mehtabul Azam, Associates Professor of Business Administration
- Matt Bowler, Ralph A. and Peggy A. Brenneman Professorship
- Laurie Lucas, Endowed Professorship in Applied Business Ethics
- Li Miao, Charles W. Lanphere Professorship
- Curtis Moore, Mike and Robbie Holder Chair in Entrepreneurship
- Marc Tower, Norman C. Stevenson Chair in Entrepreneurship
- Alexis Smith Washington, William S. Spears Chair in Business Administration
Click here to see and download photos of Spears Business award recipients.
Media contact: Jeff Joiner | Communications Coordinator | 405-744-27003 | email@example.com