Oklahoma State University announces scholar society members
Monday, May 3, 2021
Media Contact: Monica Roberts | Director of Media Relations | 405-744-4800 | email@example.com
Oklahoma State University has named five new fellows of the Oklahoma State Scholars Society, the university’s prestigious scholar development program that offers major financial support and scholarly mentorship to Oklahoma’s top students.
“Congratulations to the newest members of the Oklahoma State Scholars Society,” said OSU President Burns Hargis. “These students are among Oklahoma’s best and brightest. We are honored to extend this offer and look forward to what these scholars will accomplish through their leadership and innovation.”
As fellows, each student will receive up to $76,500 in scholarship support, including a study-abroad stipend. The scholarships equal the full cost of attendance for four years.
The fellows and their planned majors are:
- Maha Achour, Bartlesville High School (Bartlesville, Oklahoma), Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Isabella Bozeman, Chisholm High School (Enid, Oklahoma), Chemical Engineering
- Megan Roach, Washington High School (Washington, Oklahoma), Biology; Pre-Med
- Nathan Wallace, Booker T. Washington High School (Tulsa), Finance
- Alyssa Warren, Union High School (Tulsa), Music Education
Students met the following criteria for membership in the society: minimum 3.8 high school unweighted GPA, admitted to OSU and The Honors College, demonstrated maturity and potential through outstanding résumés and essay responses.
The fellows were selected based on a review of their essays and résumés, a phone interview and a virtual interview with Honors College Dean Keith Garbutt and a current OSSS Fellow.
The committee selects students who embody the legacy of OSU’s land-grant history, have an outward focus and are deeply aware of the world around them.
The other finalists will be recognized as Oklahoma State Scholars Society members and receive up to $20,000 in academic support over four years. Those students with their intended majors:
- Dean Bigler, Home School (Tulsa), Finance
- Molly Dorris, Bethany High School (Bethany, Oklahoma), History: Pre-Law
- Sloan French, Union High School (Tulsa), Mechanical Engineering
- Samantha Koch, Union High School (Broken Arrow, Oklahoma), Animal Science: Business
- Sophia Latsos, Broken Arrow High School (Broken Arrow, Oklahoma), Psychology
- Mia Miller, Oklahoma School of Science & Mathematics (Blackwell, Oklahoma), Finance
- Cade Pope, Yukon High School (Yukon, Oklahoma), Management Science & Information Systems; Data Science
- Chase Swafford, Lincoln Christian School (Tulsa, Oklahoma), Finance
- Braxton Tempest, Union High School (Broken Arrow, Oklahoma), Architecture
- Carson Willis, Fort Gibson High School (Fort Gibson, Oklahoma), Biology; Pre-Med
- Helen Wright, Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School (Oklahoma City), Electrical Engineering
For photos of the fellows, go to https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVzTgd6.