Ferguson College of Agriculture announces continuing student scholarships and awards at annual banquet
Friday, March 25, 2022
Media Contact: Jami Mattox | Agricultural Communications Services | 405-744-8061 | email@example.com
The Oklahoma State Ferguson College of Agriculture presented scholarships to more than 150 continuing students at the annual Ferguson College of Agriculture Scholarships and Awards Banquet on March 24.
The scholarships, made possible by the generosity of alumni, friends, faculty and staff, are part of the $1.8 million in total scholarships students will receive during the 2022-2023 academic year from the college and its academic departments.
Others recognized Thursday included students, faculty and staff for their accomplishments and contributions to the Ferguson College, as well as alumni for success in their respective industries.
“The banquet is our time to congratulate and recognize our outstanding students, faculty, staff and alumni for their hard work and accomplishments each year,” said Dr. Cynda Clary, associate dean of academic programs. “Through their broad collection of perspectives, experiences and contributions, these individuals reflect our college’s dedication to academics, leadership, research and service.”
Leslie Smith was named the 2022 Louis and Betty Gardner Outstanding Senior. Smith is an agribusiness and animal science major from Mutual, Oklahoma.
The Ferguson College of Agriculture recognized 20 Seniors of Distinction. Of the 20, four were also honored with the Dean’s Award of Excellence (indicated by an * in the list below).
- Phoebe Austerman, Oklahoma City, horticulture
- Dalee Barrick, Waurika, Oklahoma, agricultural communications and agribusiness
- Kaylyn Branen, Collinsville, Oklahoma, animal science and agricultural communications
- Kinzie Burtrum, Stillwater, Oklahoma, animal science
- Cameron Catrett*, Luverne, Alabama, food science and animal science
- Jade Edwards, Hamilton, Kansas, animal science
- Hailey Freeman, Bixby, Oklahoma, natural resource ecology and management
- Emily Gerstenkorn, Waco, Texas, animal science and agricultural communications
- Ashley Gin*, Oklahoma City, biochemistry and molecular biology
- Amarie Griffeth*, Cushing, Oklahoma, agricultural communications and agribusiness
- Devin Griffith, Williams, California, agricultural communications
- Bobby Marchy, Ceres, California, agricultural communications
- Audrey Ochsner, Stillwater, Oklahoma, agricultural communications
- Jack Palla, Clovis, New Mexico, animal science and agribusiness
- Halle Roper, Asbury, Missouri, agribusiness and agricultural communications
- Madelyn Scott*, Lawton, Oklahoma, food science
- Claire Sheppard, Biggs, California, plant and soil sciences
- Leslie Smith, Mutual, Oklahoma, agribusiness and animal science
- Bree Taylor, Kingfisher, Oklahoma, agribusiness
- Xin Mei Teng, Puchong, Malaysia, food science
Four Ferguson College faculty members were recognized for their teaching, advising and mentoring of undergraduate and graduate students. Their names, awards and academic departments are:
- Rodney Jones, Excellence in Teaching, OSU Department of Agricultural Economics
- Adel Pezeshki, Early Career Excellence in Teaching, OSU Department of Animal and Food Sciences
- Dwayne Cartmell, Excellence in Graduate Student Advising and Mentoring Award, OSU Department of Agricultural Education, Communications and Leadership
- Sue Fairbanks, Excellence in Undergraduate Student Advising and Mentoring Award, OSU Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management
Two alumni of the college were recognized for their outstanding achievement and early success in their careers within the agricultural and natural resources industries. Their names, hometowns and current careers include:
- J. Connor Ferguson, plant and soil sciences B.S. ’11, weed scientist and technical agronomist at Sesaco Corporation
- Emily Shuping, agribusiness B.S. ’15 and international agriculture M.A. ’19, Made In Oklahoma coalition coordinator
The Ferguson College of Agriculture emphasizes hands-on learning and prioritizes a well-rounded student experience. The college’s award-winning faculty members are dedicated to developing students and are passionate about adding value to the total educational experience. With a diverse set of majors and study options, plus more than 60 student organizations, the college is committed to expanding minds and inspiring purpose. Learn more at agriculture.okstate.edu.